BIG FAMILY WEEKEND
Enjoy a big FREE weekend of fun, drop-in activities for all the family.
With special treats in the café and forecourt pop-up.
Plus it's COOL in the Museum!
SAT 16 JUL: FESTIVAL OF ARCHAEOLOGY
FREE drop-in activities for all ages
Download the Archaeology Day Programme
Travel back to the Iron Age in this celebration of the world of the Iceni, an Iron Age community that inhabited present day East Anglia and subject of a free display in the Money Gallery. Enjoy object handling, make a plaster coin to take away, or a chocolate one to eat.
Have a go at coin striking and gather round for storytelling with Dave Tong, the Yarnsmith of Norwich.
Make a Replica Coin: 11am-4pm, Forecourt
Have a go at coin striking
With staff from School of Archaeology, University of Oxford
Chocolate Coins: 11am-4pm, Level -1, Lunchroom
Make a delicious, chocolate ‘iron age’ coin you can eat!
Make a Coin Plaster Cast: 11am- 4pm, Level -1, Learning Studio
Make a replica Iron age coin from plaster and then burnish with wax
With Jude Barrett, Ashmolean Museum
Storytelling: various times between 11am-4pm, Level -1 Atrium
Tall tales and fabulous fables
With Dave Tong, The Yarnsmith of Norwich
Try a Trail: available all day
Pick up a family trail from the information desk and family trolley
SUN 17 JUL: FESTIVAL OF ART
FREE drop-in activities for all ages
Download the Art Day Programme
Unleash your creativity with art demonstrations, music and activities inspired by the Museum’s art collection.
Dress up and get the chance to become a living painting, enjoy a family art workshop, or gather round for storytelling on the Greek myths and legends in Ashmolean paintings with Out of Chaos Theatre Company.
- Big Picture: 11am-4pm, Forecourt
Grab a pencil and add your drawing to the big Ashmolean picture
- Instant Exhibition Messy Art Workshop: 11am-4pm, Level -1 Learning Studio
Be part of our ‘Live Curation, Instant Exhibition’ inspired by landscape paintings.
Paint on canvas and have your work displayed in our pop-up gallery.
With artist Francesca Shakespeare
- Art Music Performance & Workshops: all day, Level 2, Gallery 44 European Art
Listen to original music inspired by art works in the Ashmolean including Manet’s Portrait of Fanny Claus and the toe-tapping Dobson Calypso.
Performances and participation throughout the day.
With Jarisiel: Arne Richards, Jacqui Johnson, Isabel Knowland and Elena Piras
12.30-1pm Family activities - singing, dancing and percussion from around the world
2.30-3pm Family activities
- Greek Myth Storytelling: Level -1 Atrium and Ground Floor, Gallery 14 Cast Gallery
Stories of love, laughter, bravery, revenge and betrayal starring the gods, goddesses, heroes and mortals of the Ancient Greek World
With Out of Chaos Theatre
- Meet the Artists: 11am-4pm, Pop-Ups throughout the Museum
Encounter famous artists from history as they visit the Ashmolean art galleries. Who will you meet?
With Out of Chaos Theatre company
- Self Portraits Drop-in Workshop: 11am-4pm, Level 3M Gallery 65 Pissarro and the Impressionists
Create a self-portrait that says something about you with the fabulous Donette and Jo from ARK-T, Oxford Community Arts Charity in OX4
With Donnette Victor and Jo Race
- Oil Painting Demonstration: 11.30am-1.30pm, Level 2, Galleries 50-51 Landscape Oil Sketches
Ask questions and watch the creation of a beautiful work of art
With artist Kieran Stiles who demonstrates the technique of oil painting
- Printing and Embossing Demonstration & Activity: 11am-4pm, Level 2, Gallery 35 West Meets East
Watch Asma demonstrate the art of print making, and see the printing press in action.
Have a go at embossing, creating a work of your own on embossing paper
With artist Asma Hashmi
- Pop-Up Photo Booth: 11am-4pm, various galleries throughout the day, Ground Floor, Gallery 14 Cast Gallery
Level 2, Gallery 44 European Art and Gallery 52 Arts of the 18th Century
Level 3M, Gallery 65 Pissarro and the Impressionists & Gallery 66 Pre-Raphaelites
Dress up and pose as an Ashmolean painting
Turn yourself in to a living painting with our pop-up photo booth.
Have your picture taken by a professional photographer or take a selfie
- Paint and Pigments Discovery Table: 11am-4pm, Level 2, Gallery 43 Italian Renaissance
Discover how did artists make paint before the invention of synthetic paints
- Try a Trail & Draw a Picture: available all day from Information Desk, Ground Floor and Family Trolley, Level -1 Atrium
Drawing paper, card, pencils and family trails available all day. What will you draw?