The Ashmolean and the Oxford Times are thrilled to announce the winners of our 2020 Artists in Residence competition.
We received almost 1200 entries, from across the UK. People sent in a huge range of artworks including paintings, drawings and photographs, collage, sculpture, video, mosaics and textiles. Strong themes emerged: gratitude to key workers and the NHS; the importance of friends and family; appreciation of the natural world; and the deep impact of the Black Lives Matter movement.
The competition was judged by:
- Lizzie Collins, Director, Zuleika Gallery, Oxford & London
- Tim Hughes, Audience & Content Editor, The Oxford Times
- Dr Kamal Mahtani, GP and Associate Professor, Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, Oxford University
- Janina Ramirez, cultural historian, broadcaster and Course Director at Oxford University’s Department for Continuing Education
- Xa Sturgis, Director of the Ashmolean