Led by the Ashmolean education department and the ASHLI project team, a range of activities were piloted that inspired pupils to find out more about Roman life using Latin inscriptions:
- Picking a Roman name
- Making a clay inscription with Roman name
- Making a metal votive using Roman name and choosing a Roman job and an appropriate deity
- Roman Army commands games
- Decorating polystyrene “sling bullets” with Latin taunts
- Learning about Roman mass production (including handling ancient objects if there was time
The Ashmolean Latin Inscriptions Project (AshLI) is a three-way collaboration between Warwick Univeristy, Oxford University and the Ashmolean Museum, supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council.